To keep from having to stress every time you go out in public to a restaurant or an event here are some tips from Tosca Reno’s Stripped book to keep your blood pressure in check!
Planning is best, when you are out you always need a game plan.
1. Develop an “I don’t have to eat it all!” Mindset. Make up your mind before you go that you don’t have to get the most bang for your buck by cleaning your plate. KEEP YOUR GOAL IN MIND.
2. Satisfy hunger only-Don’t Gorge. Eat for the purpose of satisfying your hunger, but no more.
3. Start small and green. Start your meal with a salad, without dressing. Use a spritz of lemon or some balsamic vinegar.
4. Broth is best. When there is no salad option have a broth based soup.
5. NO BREAD PLEASE! Remember this is not helping you achieve your 10 pound weight loss goal.
6. Clean Cooking techniques rock! Look for entree options featuring steamed or raw veggies and grilled, baked or roasted meats or fish. If they aren’t listed, ask the server to prepare it that way. Oh and don’t always trust the low fat or fat free symbols.
7. Portion control is in. Have a good look at your plate when it arrives. Ask for a doggie bag and split your meal in half.
8. Fletcherize. The practice of chewing each mouthful a min of 25 times. It gives your body a chance to recognize when you are becoming full. (This is very hard to do when you are with kids, because you never know when they have had enough and you will have to leave your meal behind to take the kids out).
9. Zero Tolerance. You want to avoid alcohol because sugar can derail you in the most powerful way. Have sparkling water with lemon or lime slices. (As someone who loves her wine….I’m realistic about this. If you are going to drink, try to limit it to a drink or two. And drink smartly….red wine, or vodka with soda water. Avoid sugary mix drinks and beer)
10. Stop before the end. Think of your plan to shed those pounds, if you can’t resist something sweet ask for a dish of fresh fruit and leave it at that!
If you doubt your ability to resist restaurant offerings then pre-eat! Then when you go to a restaurant or social event you don’t have to worry about what’s on the menu and you can focus on socializing.
If you have to go through a drive through, familiarize yourself with the menu. Never super size and make smart food choices by ordering a grilled chicken salad with olive and vinegar dressing or, low fat balsamic.
One of the most difficult things to manage while following a healthy lifestyle is your social life. You don’t have to become a hermit…just be smart about your choices and most importantly, be prepared!!!